Tuesday, June 21, 2016

The Great (and Not So Great) Outdoors


Had a mix of "ahhs" and "ewwws" when it came to the Great Outdoors the last 24 hours.

First, I did finally admire the "Strawberry" moon last night, which frankly lacked the berry luster. However, I guess the night before it did have a red-ish tint around it. Last night it was still considered an astronomical event that hasn't occurred in decades: the coinciding of the June solstice with a full moon.

And, I guess the full moon for the month of June is known in the United States as the Full Strawberry Moon, because it alerted Algonquin tribes that it was time to gather ripe fruit. However, in Europe, where strawberries aren't native, it's been known as the Full Rose Moon and the Honey Moon. I can see Honey Moon by its more bronze-ish color. Either way, it was a great part of my outdoor experience.

Fast forward 8 hours and it's a different story. I was up and on the road by 6:30 a.m. to go running. Actually it's an app on my phone that yells out intervals of running, sprinting and walking. That's beside the point. When I got back to Blue Jay Drive for the cool down, I was walking in the final stretch to home and suddenly felt a PLOP! on my head.

I knew immediately what it was. Definitely too heavy for a raindrop. I may or may not have freaked out. There were no witnesses awake at that hour to tell you otherwise. Luckily, I had Kleenex in my pocket so I could take a swipe in my hair. I looked at it and let out a big "Ewww!" followed by my gag reflex. You know, bird poop looks white, but it ain't. Yucka! I wiped the best I could then found surprising energy to sprint home to the shower.

Thank you, Bluebird of Crappy-ness! You validated my excuse that it's just best to hit the snooze and stay in bed!


The good news, though, is that your day pretty much can only get better from there, right? It did. Tonight Mother Nature redeemed herself (and all God's creatures).

Our neighbors across the street have asked a few times if we wanted to go kayaking with them. The stars and strawberry moons finally aligned and we were all free. They have the kayaks, we don't. In fact, hubby and I have never been kayaking but have said many times it looked fun to try.

It was!

Here's me with the sunlight landing on my hat, rather than bird poop in my hair. A hat just may be a staple in my outdoorsy wardrobe going forward!


And our hosts and Lake Wazeecha tour guides for the evening, Mike and Cindy.


Jim was a natural. Nice easy strokes. He got into the rhythm right away.

It took me awhile to get the hang of it because it seemed to be straining my back a bit... until we stopped a minute and I switched to different paddles, which were much lighter. Then I got into the rhythm.

We all managed to stay upright despite all the big waves from the water ski team practice boats. I had water splash into mine so I was soaked from the waist down. Good thing I was used to the water temperature by then!

Definitely won't deter me from going again. Both Jim and I agree: We tried it. We loved it. We'll do it again.

Since Mike and Cindy have 4 kayaks, I don't think we'll be jumping in to purchase our own any time soon, but it's not an unreasonable thought down the road. Thank you, outdoors, for redeeming yourself.

Of course, to cap off the day, Mike took us to King Cone. Totally not my idea, but I did not object, even if I was sitting there with soaking wet shorts. Priorities! Great way to end the first FULL day of summer.

More days finishing like this and I won't have to say outdoor life is for the birds!



No comments: