Thursday, June 23, 2016

Making Scents

If you would have asked me earlier today what one of the worst smells is, I would have said the paper mill.

Living in a paper mill town, you'd think I'd get used to that sulfuric acid odor, but I don't. We get spoiled living "out" of town and only smell it when we occasionally are down wind or something. Today, when we took a walk break at work, we were definitely in its path. Eww.

Of course, any mill worker (or their family members) will tell you "It's the smell of money." That may be true but I prefer my odorless cash and credit.

Tonight, though, I have the windows open not to let that smell in, but to let a different smell out.

I guess it takes an undomestic goddess like me to burn microwave popcorn. Not sure how I did it. But the evidence has lingered in the air a good hour.

The thing is, I am home alone since Jim is in Marshfield visiting his uncle and Carter is at a friend's. I was just trying to make a light, easy supper after my run. Even though I technically had popcorn for lunch today, too, I guess I forgot.

Just like I guess I forgot to keep an eye on the popcorn!

I had just opened the box. You can select the bag size on our microwave. So instead of 3.5 ounces, I chose 3 to be safe, and walked away. And let it burn. Well, it definitely is not a snack-size bag (1.75 ounces), but when I threw out the black hulls and tried again, I had to stop it almost a half minute early on that 3-ounce bag setting.

So there's your Consumer Report notice of the day. If you buy the Pop Weaver brand, keep an eye on it!

You know, I never have this problem when I have ice cream for supper. That doesn't smell. And it doesn't leave a trace of undomestic evidence. Guess I'll stick with that.

Makes scents to me.




No comments: