Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Candlelight to Silent Night

All the candles on the Advent wreath have been lighted AND we even had a candlelight church service at 1 o'clock in the afternoon. Now that is a special way to kick off Christmas.

Carter and I hit the early service since we knew we'd be eating at Grandpa and Grandma Austin's for the 4 and 6 p.m. services. Since it was a cloudy, dreary day, it was just dark enough in the church to make the glow of candles shine. Very pretty.

I love the Christmas service, not only for its message, but its music. We sang lots of Christmas carols, which I love! I really enjoy the ones we did way back in high school choir – especially when I can remember the harmonizing alto part. Yup, doesn't take much to impress myself.

On our way home from church, Carter and I swung through McDonald's and got small eggnog shakes. Did we really NEED them knowing we'd be eating just 3 hours later? Probably not. But last time I tried to get an eggnog shake on Christmas Eve, they were out! I was mainly just doing it to see if they'd improved their customer service.

(Will lying get me on Santa's Naughty List??)

We headed over to the in-laws around 3:30 and had a really nice afternoon and evening. Ate good food (naturally), played some cards, exchanged some gifts and had some laughs. Oh, and got our annual picture of the four C's....


Cousins Colin, Carter, Clay and Casey. It seems year over year that Carter is the only one inching upward. The rest are just looking more like "men" now than boys. At least they all still believe in Santa.

They better!

Casey and Clay are staying overnight at our house and Santa has that programmed in his RPS (Reindeer Positioning System) already. According to house rules, it doesn't matter so much if you are naughty or nice... As long as you have brown eyes and dimples, you'll be spoiled Christmas morning.

Hopefully green eyes qualify, too, since I'll be making breakfast. I guess we'll see.

First, some silent night...




No comments: