Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Ciao, 2014



New Year's Eve is very therapeutic for me. It teaches me to reflect on the past year in the "big picture" mode, not zooming in on the daily stresses and challenges that can feed our negativity.

I look overall and I see a great year. Did not lose any loved ones. We're relatively healthy. We're employed. We have wonderful friends. And, this year, we even extended our family!

It was fitting that we received a holiday package from Germany today. What a great reminder on a new blessing in our lives. Lukas sent us homemade treats (I think he calls most cookies "biscuits"), very good chocolate and some special ornaments.

There's a tradition with the pickle ornament in front. The German custom is that the pickle is hidden in the Christmas tree and the first person to find it gets to open their presents first. I have seen pickle ornaments before and never understood them. Now, I get it. Another new tradition to add to our holidays.


And did you look closely? My sweet boy remembers my love for ice cream! I just wanted to cry. That's so special to have this bond. I'll be jealous when Carter gets to go stay with him next summer and Jim and I won't! Some day...

While Lukas was already ringing in 2015, we had a fun evening with friends tonight.

Started off with dinner at Ebbe's Lake Aire Supper Club with our friends Mike and Christine – and a host of others. Had a very delicious seafood Alfredo dish. Even got some grasshopper pie to go. No room left in my tummy for it. But tomorrow there will be!

After dinner we headed to a gathering of some of our Assumption friends. This was less than a mile from home so we could have headed out anytime if we got tired. But lo and behold, we made it until midnight! So we're so young, ha. I texted Carter at midnight to make sure he wasn't kissing anyone at the gathering he was at. He insists that he was NOT!

Got home just before 2 a.m. and me thinks we will sleep in tomorrow / today. Now we'll get in bed and say our prayers, thankful for another good year and the great people in it! That includes YOU.

Happy New Year!



No comments: