Sunday, December 28, 2014

Happy Skol-idays

Heading to Minnesota on game day was as exciting as, well, heading to Minnesota on game day. Only this was no ordinary game day.

Sure, it involved Vikings and other Scandinavian lore, but there was not a football or helmet in sight. There was one cheerleader, but I'll get to that later.

Today was the Hedberg family Christmas celebration, this year hosted by my brother Ron and his son David and daughter-in-law Sara. They rented a cute little conference center at the Spring Lake Reserve, just south of St. Paul near Rosemount. The Vikings were playing at home up the road, so  to speak, but only half of us cared. Apparently I will need to just be IN Minnesota on Sundays next season so they win more games!

Today we had an interesting smorgasbord of Swedish- and Norwegian-inspired dishes. There was pickled herring, linden berry jelly on rye crackers and a variety of sardines. Trust me, even something Cajun spicy flavored could not entice this wimpy Scandi-hoovian to eat fish with heads. No matter how little. For the main course, I did try some Swedish (potato) sausage, some potato dumpling thing and, of course, Swedish meatballs. My dishes weren't quite as original.  I made Viking Purple Grape Salad and Ole's Eggnog Gingerbread Dessert. That went well with Lefse and Krumkaka!

After lunch, we had our traditional Christmas program, which brought singing, laughing, crying and an entertaining game of Holiday Family Feud. For the Austin clan part, we had to go with three of us since the big boys didn't arrive until later. I was a retired (for many decades) Vikings cheerleader and Jim and Carter were backup dancers while I sang "O, Lutefisk," that old Norske favorite to the tune of "O, Christmas Tree." (I hope someone took a picture for me!)

After the quality program, there were presents exchanged and games played – including several rounds of Bunco. Good times.

Since many have to work tomorrow, we wrapped up the party by 8 p.m. We decided to head all the way back to Rapids (3+ hours) instead of getting a hotel since we're all awake AND we can sleep in tomorrow.

Granted, it's very late, but I will share a few quick photos...


My creative niece team of Caryn and Michelle made Mom (Grandma) a special snow globe with an old family photo inside. Cool idea!


Speaking of cool... Snuggling with my eldest awesome niece Caryn! (She still wouldn't give me her cool hat, though!)


All I want for Christmas is to be as tall as my twin. And in this case, it was accomplished by standing on the fireplace hearth. Works for me!


My favorite gifts every day of the year... My great guys! Love them! They – and my entire family – make my season bright!

Merry Christmas or, as the Norse Force says: God Jul!

No comments: