Friday, December 12, 2014

Request for Continuation






In most cases, if I had to wait 20-plus years for a sequel of any kind, I'd pretty much give up on it. In the case of John Grisham's book A Time to Kill, however, a sequel was never expected. So now it has become a pleasant surprise.

Very pleasant.

In the early 1990s, I had picked up a copy of the first book at the Atlanta airport after visiting my sister, brother-in-law and a college friend. Needed something to occupy my mind on the plane ride home. The book was very well-written, entertaining, suspenseful and unpredictable. A very good read.

When I learned Grisham had a new book at the time, I decided to check that out, too. The Firm was the first book ever that had me so hooked on the storyline that I couldn't wait to get home from work to get back to it. Fast-paced and, like the other book, well-written, entertaining, suspenseful and unpredictable. A very good read.

I was a fan for life. What a gift to write like that!

Since I am friends with John on Facebook (sort of), I knew 2 years ago he was releasing a sequel of sorts to A Time to Kill. It came out last year but I did not get a chance to read it. I was surprised last week when it was actually available on CD. A lot of CDs! Typically I listen to a book with 8-10 CDs. This one has 16. And it has been worth every minute.

Sycamore Row has been my commute book all week and it is a really interesting story. Typical of Grisham, it has plot twists you'd least expect, which only draws the reader (or listener in my case) in deeper.

Today, there was a new plot twist just as I was pulling into the parking lot at work. I expected I'd be watching the clock all day in anticipation of getting back to the story. Thankfully, it was a busy day so I survived.

Of course, now that I am home and won't be commuting (except to Wal-Mart probably) until Monday, I cannot face the withdrawals. So, I can listen on an old school CD player while on the treadmill tomorrow. Or I can actually try to READ it.

Just found out the e-book of Sycamore Row is available to "borrow" from the library so my lawyer's "request for a continuation" has been granted!

Have you ever read or listened to a book that really hooked you in? Please share so I can add it to my reading list and perhaps even assign it for my book club.

Thanks. And happy reading!




No comments: