Saturday, December 13, 2014

Nog Blog

I don't always start AND end the day drinking... But when I do it's eggnog.

Today is St. Lucia Day, a Scandi-Hoovian "Festival of Lights" holiday celebration. We observe it each year so that Carter remembers his roots (as if I don't say "uff da" enough), plus why would he fight getting a present?

In the real tradition to honor the Goddess of Light, the oldest girl in the house wears a ring of lighted candles on her head and serves breakfast in bed to the rest of the household. I skip the incendiary devices on my hair-sprayed head, bake cinnamon rolls out of a can and let the guys serve themselves.

Today, I enjoyed a pumpkin spice cinnamon roll and a cup of pumpkin spice coffee topped with eggnog, while Carter excitedly opened his gift of funky socks. Serious about the excitement. He really wanted some fancy and fun socks. Lucky St. Lucy knew!

After that it was a busy day of running errands (bank and library) and shopping for a few Christmas gifts. That took me to 5 stores in Rapids, but did move two people onto my "done" list. Yay. I later figured out what I am getting 3 more people. Just need to quickly get those and then we are done. Oh, except Carter. I'll have to check with St. Lucy to see what else he has on his list!

Tonight, after a yummy chili supper (I do know how to cook ONE thing), Carter took off for a hockey game. Hubby is watching TV and, after a half hour on the tread mill, I figured I earned some eggnog, this time mixed in with my chai spice tea.

I'm not a wimp. I can take my eggnog straight, too. But by mixing it in my hot non-toddy toddies, it lasts longer.

I've been informed the store does make more, though. Hmm... I'll drink to that!



No comments: