Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Different Kind of Bucket List


I have learned that one of my most valuable possessions is time. I have also learned that it is even more valuable when I share it.

That is why each fall when I get the call about bell ringing for the Salvation Army's Christmas Campaign, I say yes. It's the least I can do. Even signing up for multiple shifts in potentially frigid temperatures is nothing to complain about compared to the man, woman or child who desperately needs a winter coat.

Hopefully, enough coins and bills drop in buckets during the season to "do the most good." They added another slogan to their signs this year: "For them. Every drop in the bucket counts."

I agree. While I was ringing in the season of THE Son with MY son this evening, we witnessed quite the range of giving. I enjoyed seeing parents encourage their little ones to drop money in the bucket. I hope it instills a habit and joy of giving throughout their lives.

I enjoyed, too, spending two hours with my son. Not his idea of a good time, but it was good to sort of catch up a bit and annoy him with the Christmas music playing from my tablet. I told him, "At least I didn't put my GLEE Christmas music on there." That was met with an eye roll.

Wow, he can be a Grinch when he is overtired and hungry!

When we were done, he went through the Chips drive-thru for a burger and fries. I had every intention of going straight home, but the sign at Culver's announcing "Eggnog Shakes are Back" beckoned me to their drive-thru.

Ended up having an eggnog shake appetizer followed by a main course of popcorn and a Hallmark Christmas movie when I got home.

I head back out to Red Kettle land tomorrow evening, this time without my Scroogy sidekick. I will be lonely but maybe some new music will fill me with GLEE.

We'll see what does the most good!



No comments: