Monday, December 8, 2014

Sounds of the Season


We are not just a band geek family, we are a word geek family. When I left work today, I said, "Well, I'm going to my penultimate Christmas band concert tonight." When I got home, Carter said, without prompting, that this his penultimate Christmas concert.

If you don't have a dictionary app handy, penultimate basically means "next to last." Just one of those words we Austins use when we can fit it into a conversation. (Hey, I already said we were word nerds!)

Onto the concert...

Carter had a cheering section of Grandpa and Grandma Austin plus Aunt Sherry and Uncle Baird... and Dad and me, of course.

In the first number, the high school band members were scattered about, some even performing in bleacher aisles like you see in big-time concerts or the Grammys even! Carter was on main stage by the director so he didn't have to lug his big baritone around.

They did play some of my favorites. I enjoyed their Manheim Steamer version of O' Little Town of Bethlehem and two other uplifting holiday mixes.


Here Carter and his buddy Olivia wait for everyone to get set up for Happy Xmas (War is Over) by John Lennon – particularly poignant on today's anniversary of his death. Love the song. Here's how they did...

(be sure to click on HD so you can see it better)

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152566650182569&l=7873149852598057071




Hope you enjoy all the sounds of the season!

No comments: